Sunday 21 October 2012

Review: Stygian's Honor by Lora Leigh


STYGIAN'S HONOR (A novel of the Breeds)
by Lora Leigh

PUBLISHER: Berkley - US

RELEASE DATE: 04 October 2012

GENRE: Paranormal Romance

Window Rock, Arizona, is the last known location of Honor Roberts, who vanished when she was just thirteen. It was her only sanctuary from the Breed research that would surely have ended in her death - one such insidious experiment should, indeed, have killed her. That she lived is both a miracle - and a great mystery.
 
Stygian's mission is to find Honor Roberts, no matter the cost. Now, with the help of Liza Johnson, assistant to the chief of the Navajo Nation, he is closer than ever to his goal. But will the discovery of Honor Roberts mean the destruction of the mating heat that has developed between Stygian and Liza?
 
I haven't read any of the previous novels about the Breeds and although you don't really need to, I think I would have been able to follow certain aspects of the story a bit easier if I had done. For example, there isn't much of an explanation about who the Breeds are and how they came to be, or about the work of the Genetics Council, or what's happened to Amber, Jonas Wyatt's 2 year old daughter. I do wonder whether my opinion of this book would have been different if I'd had a better understanding of the world it was based in.
 
Although I liked the idea of the storyline, it was very predictable and I knew by the end of chapter 1 what the "twist" was going to be. I decided to keep going and give it the benefit of the doubt but what unfolded before me, rather than being an action/romance/mystery, was sex, sex and more sex. In fact, there was whole lot of Stygian and Liza hanging around a hotel and having sex, and not very much in the way of tracking down Honor Roberts. And lets face it, there's only so many times you want to hear about Liza and her creaming pussy . . .
 
Both Stygian and Liza were very formulaic characters that didn't bring anything new to the table and I didn't particularly engage with any of the other major characters. There were a few bit players who caught my attention and who I would be interested to read about, notably Cassie and Gideon.
 
A book about Gideon is a cert as the author has set up what could be a really interesting story arc about the other girl and the 2 breeds that were held captive and experimented on with Honor. But, I suspect it will go down the same erotic fiction route as this book; too much sex and not enough depth and character development.
 
Overall, I was disappointed with the author's offering and honestly, I'm not tempted to read any of the other Breeds novels. I'll stick to Sherrilyn Kenyon and her Dark-Hunter World and Meljean Brook and The Guardians.
 
The previous Breeds novels are:

Bengals' Heart
Coyote's Mate
Harmony's Way
Nauti Boy
Lawe's Justice

1 comments:

Nur Zulieqha Mad Amin said...

hi,, you should try read Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh.. very-very fascinating.. :)

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates