Wednesday 7 December 2011

12 days of Buffy : Angel


When it came to men, I was a living, breathing, walking cliche. Tall, dark and handsome - yes please! Full of angst - send him my way! And then I met my husband.

The night we met I was on a work colleague's hen night. It was in no way the raucous affair I'd expected and was instead an opportunity for the bride-to-be to spend quality time catching up with family and old friends over a very civilised meal.

Myself and 2 other girls (we'll call them T and F) were made to feel quite unwelcome so we politely made our excuses and then headed off to pour copious amounts of alcohol down our throats!

One of the pubs that we visited was a popular drinking spot and had 2 doormen stood outside of it. Doormen make me very nervous, as I'm always expecting them to ID me and/or not let me in. Fortunately T knew one of them from school so after a quick chat, we made our way inside with no hassle.

After enjoying a drink, we made our way over to one of the clubs in the town we were in and after queuing for ages, we were disappointed to be refused entry as we couldn't prove we were over 25. We weren't over 25 but that's not the point!

We randomly chose another club to go to and hadn't been in there long before the doorman T knew came in, along with 2 of his friends who she also remembered from school. Our 2 groups ended up mingling and from the moment I made eye contact with the doorman - POW! - I knew I was in trouble! The energy between us was crackling and there was an immediate connection.

You'll be surprised to hear then that when I left, it was without leaving my telephone number for Mr doorman. Before that night, I'd been deliberately single for a year so I could focus on myself and in spite of our connection, I was happy being on my own and didn't want to start a new relationship.

I can still remember how frustrated and disappointed I felt the next day when T text me to say Mr doorman had tracked down her telephone number in order to find out mine. All I could think was that I wasn't looking forward to having to tell him I wasn't interested in a relationship when he contacted me.

He did telephone me and obviously, I didn't turn him down. Instead, I started a new chapter in my life; the biggest one to date.

When we talk about that night, there are so many what ifs. What if I hadn't left the meal? what if T hadn't been out with us? what if we hadn't been turned away from the club? what if he'd gone straight home after his shift finished? what if he and his friends had chosen a different club?

I truly believe that the universe conspired to have me meet the man who, 6 years later, would become my husband. And after 9 years together, I still feel blessed that that evening worked out the way it did as I find it impossible to imagine not being with him. Okay, so we're not star-crossed lovers like Buffy and Angel are but to me, the height and depth of our love would give them a run for their money any day!


Today, I've completed  95% of the paperwork filing, which leaves me with the following:

  • Finish filing away the paperwork
  • Put locks on all the "un-safe" drawers/cupboards
  • Sort out the big box of books that's been sat in the conservatory for the last 3 years
  • Tidy and organise my craft table so if I wanted to, I could actually use it
  • Declutter the bedroom
  • Put locks on the bedside drawers
  • Make the boys some fleece trousers
  • Do some batch cooking
  • Finish the Christmas shopping

And the biggest one of all:

  • Declutter and clean the spare bedroom before decorating it ready for the toddler to move into after his Boxing day birthday. The baby will then move into the nursery

Visit the rest of #teamBuffy?

To find out Nyssapod's thoughts on "Angel", head on over to minibreakmummy. Please also show her some support for her own to-do list that she's started to tackle.

After that, head on over to Chapters of Claire . Claire is being hard on herself at the moment because she hasn't had an opportunity to do a day 6 or day 7 blog post yet. You guys offered such fantastic support to me when I felt I'd failed the challenge so please do the same for her. Claire, sometimes life gets in the way of our best intentions - just catch up when you can.

Next, go and visit Made by Tamsin and read her posts here and here. Tamsin has challenged herself to write a post for every day of the advent calendar. However, she was unexpectedly ill yesterday and couldn't blog. Even though she's posted twice today to "make up for it", please go and remind her to take care of herself and to get better soon.

Finally, pop over to Margot and Barbara to read how Liz is feeling inspired to tidy and sort her house, starting with her bedroom. Welcome to the challenge Liz!

Join In!

As I've been saying every day so far, there's still time for you to join #teambuffy and jump into the 5 remaining days of this challenge (oh my god! over half way already!). You don't have to be a fan of Buffy - you just have to have a desire to get rid of some of those jobs you've been putting off for a while. If I can do it so can you!

See you tomorrow x

4 comments:

A Little Light Work said...

Crikey, Mrs Slayer, that's even better than Topaz and Cleft! What a lovely story. I love the way the sweeping romance is followed by the list of domestic things to do. Real life, eh?

Misha - TheBlingBuoy said...

Oh... this post really is beautiful! I just love a good love story. Sigh. I'm also feeling guilty about how little I have achieved in terms of de-cluttering compared to you so may have to block out that bit for a while and just focus on the happy fuzzies :) A lovely post, Rhiannon. Truly. xo

Mammasaurus said...

Oh you are bringing out my romantic side now... ahhhhhhhhh x

The Perfect Romance Experiment said...

I love a good romance story! I also love it when fate plays a part in how you ended up with your partner, the more what-ifs the better in my opinion. It makes it feel all the more special. Thanks for linking up to Love All Blogs x

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates